Friday, November 7, 2014

playing the long game

I met some mystery girl who wasn't all that interesting outside a nightclub in Hollywood years ago. Then we'd run into each other everywhere. At a house in the hills. On a sidewalk outside of a Chipotle on Sunset Blvd. You know, everywhere.

And I told her the night we first met that I'd like to see her without make-up on her face. And it went like that. I would say a bunch of insignificant shit to her every time we'd speak and sometimes it was for hours on the phone, that's right I forgot about the phone, and I could make her laugh. It was like a seductive cartoon cat, her purr. She'd call me. I'd call her. She'd purr. And then we just kept bumping into each other insignificantly.

Then there is this pregnant woman who comes into my work. She is beautiful. I run into her and her husband everywhere. She pretended like we'd already met before the first time we actually met. I told her we hadn't. Cuz we hadn't.

So. But. Listen. I don't want to be with anyone longer than two nights in a row. There can be a sweet morning where we get a bleary-eyed breakfast together with hair messy and hands touching. Then there can be a sweet mourning as we continue the process of never meeting again.