Wednesday, June 5, 2019

one thing i learned

I’d like to share a trick I taught myself years ago. It’s inevitable that if I am out hiking with my phone or a pen and pad, I will think of nothing important creatively and need them little - however if out on the trails in only my clothes and nothing else, I will be ignited with creative solutions to the project I am working on. Such is the nature of things, an abandon of tools to the solution yields of course to the solution. The worry is that halfway across a trail with a drifting mind, I will forget the very profound breakthrough I had out there. Ask any creative, any human, It’s so easy to forget the very thing that we think we’ll never forget. Today it happened again, I was walking up through Griffith Park in the fog practicing an upcoming television pitch when a perfect phrasing for a section of it arrived. So here is my trick:

I will pick up a tiny rock on the ground whose shape and size, distinctions, appeal to me, and I will anchor the idea into the rock. I will repeat the idea a few times and store the wording into the rock as though its a hard drive. I will then put the rock in my pocket, think of its meaning a few more times and carry on my nature trek. When I arrive to my car, home, etc I will take the rock out and like magic the idea will still be stored into it, anchored. 

I’ve done this successfully with multiple rocks at a time. It rocks.

I wanted to share this trick